Wednesday, March 8, 2017

It's Green Here In SoCal

We have had the most rain I have seen since moving here 3 years ago. Normally around this time it's just a little green but mostly brown, especially the trails. Just 4 months ago it was completely brown and you had a hard time finding the trails because it blended in with its surroundings so well. Now you can't find the trails because the grass and plants are so green and tall. It is so tall out here that some sections were just past my shoulders. It does remind me of living back in NC where everything is green during spring and summer. However, I enjoy the weather out here more :P

My running buddy and I hit the trails for a 12 mile run the day after my Griffith Park Trail Race. Surprisingly my legs were not sore or tired at the start of our long run. I was feeling really good and attribute it to most of my training for LAM. We even ran up a good chunk of some inclined switchbacks that normally challenge us. My legs held strong until we got to mile 11 and started our last climb up a hill. I could feel my legs getting tired and for the first time in a while my toes were bothering me. I had a few rub spots on my toes from the trail race the day before. I did finish my long run strong and with no pains or soreness the rest of the day, minus my toes.


Once I got home I started looking for a new pair of trail shoes. I'm a Hoka OneOne girl. I've been running in them for almost 3 years now. Last year I tried Altra because I loved how wide the toe box is. I did a few short runs in them and they would leave my legs feeling aching, heavy and sometimes painful. I just could not get used to the zero drop. A really good friend of mine and an amazing Ultra runner told me about how in love she was with her Topo shoes. I did some research and decided to give them a try. I not only ordered a new pair of their trail shoes but also decided to give their road shoes a go. I'm hoping these Topo shoes will make my legs, feet and toes happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment