Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Griffith Park Half Marathon Trail Race Recap



I did a Hollywood sign tour run with my running group last summer and loved it! One of the girls led the group up to the Wisdom Tree, behind the Hollywood sign and then down in front of it. I believe we did a little over 6ish miles that day. When someone in my run group mentioned a Griffith Park Trail Race, I knew I wanted to do it right away. I had heard great things about the race director Keira Henninger and how awesome her races are. I decided to sign up for the Half distance since LA is 2 weeks after this race. I later discovered that a lot of my fellow ambassadors from INKnBURN, Orange Mud and Tailwind would be there as well. Knowing these things just made me anticipate this race even more!



I was already impressed with the race even before it got started. Keira sent out an email letting us know that the runners for the Half distance would be receiving a mug, finishers medal and an additional race medal. We also were receiving a long sleeve tech shirt with girls getting pink and guys getting gray. There would be 2 aide stations that we would hit on our out and back course, along with food at the finish line. How can you not get excited over all this for just a Half. The other two distances offered was a Full and a 50K. For those finishers they received the same items except they got a Buckle and not a mug.

This was my first race that I have attended where there was an ultra distance. Already the runners and spectators were a little different. It felt more like a running community and not just a race that people showed up to do. The energy and excitement was higher and the runners were all very friendly. I got to meet up with people that I follow on FB and IG which was pretty cool. This was my farthest trail race distance to date and I was unfamiliar with the section of trails that we would be running. I also neglected to look at the course map. However, I wasn't nervous or worried about any of it. I was just happy to be there and to get out on to the course.





Keira kept to her time table and got everyone started on time for each distance. I was not out there racing for a time. I was using this race as a training run for LAM. My goals for this race was to 1. Have fun 2. Take lots of pictures 3. Run with some of my ambassador friends 4. Meet new runners and 5. Don't get hurt. I accomplished all of my goals. It was by far my slowest Half Marathon time but it was definitely the most enjoyable and fun race I have done to date.


Let me forewarn you though, there are MAJOR hills in this race. I did a lot of walking up the hills with my friends and then enjoyed running down them. Keira had the course marked to a T. Lots of signs and ribbons present so that you could not get lost. The amount of volunteers that were on the course and at the aide stations was amazing. Lets talk about these aide stations for a second. I am now completely spoiled and feel like I should have these aide stations at every race. I loved grabbing a piece of an orange, hand full of potato chips and a cup of soda. There was so much food and drink on the tables that it was even a little overwhelming. I was getting high fives and cheers from runners along the course as we passed each other. The volunteers were also very up lifting and helpful.

For the Half Marathon we started off in the Old Zoo and ran to Lower Beacon Trail. From there we went by the Bird Sanctuary and out to Dante's View. Dante's view was the turn around spot for us. We saw LA, the Hollywood sign and Charlie Brown's Christmas tree along the way. Not to mention all the gorgeous views all around us. The Marathon distance continued past Dante's View and up behind the Hollywood sign before turning around while the 50K ran a loop in front of the Hollywood sign and to the back of it meeting up with the Marathoners. As I mentioned early, lots of hills. The trails were pretty wide in most areas with a few sections.




I will definitely be back for this race next year and I hope to do the Marathon or even 50K distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment